Merrie Frankel has extensive experience in REITs, capital markets, credit ratings, portfolio management, equity and debt transactions, restructuring, workouts and strategic advisory assignments for corporate, institutional, public, private and nonprofit entities.
Ms. Frankel is a member of Agree Realty Corporation’s (ADC) board of directors, sits on the Audit Committee, and Chairs the Nominating and Governance Committee. She is the President of Minerva Realty Consultants providing Independent advisory services regarding the credit ratings process, strategy and litigation support for REITs and other real estate firms, hedge/opportunity funds, banks, lawyers and accountants monetizing portfolios through IPOs or other capital market strategies.
She was a Vice President/Senior Credit Officer in the Commercial Real Estate Finance group at Moody’s Investors Service from 1998 until 2016. At Moody’s, she was responsible for a portfolio of large REITs and real estate operating companies (REOCs) in the United States and Canada where she interacted daily with senior management at issuers, institutional investors, and investment bankers as well as participated in global ratings.
Prior to joining Moody’s,Ms. Frankel was a Senior Vice President and Director of Portfolio Management for the Argo Funds, a real estate opportunity fund with $1.5 billion in assets, responsible for portfolio management, financing, investor relations, and dispositions for investments in properties, operating companies, and CMBS.
Ms. Frankel previously held various positions in the commercial real estate industry including that of Senior Manager at the Ernst & Young Real Estate Group; a Director in the Financial Services Group at Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.; an Officer who played a key role in establishing the commercial mortgage group at J.P. Morgan Securities, LLC; and a real estate investment banker and senior tax attorney at Salomon Brothers Inc.
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) – Trustee; Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI)-Executive Comm and outreach chair (2011-17); Chair-Governance Comm for NY District Council (2009-13); Chairperson-NY District Council (2006-09; 2,500 members and 48-person board); Council Counselor (2004-10); Chair – Urban Development Mixed-Use (UDMUC/Gold) Council (2001-04); former Chair-Education Comm for NY District Council — started UrbanPlan real estate course in NYC high schools
- Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture Planning and Preservation – Adjunct Assistant Professor of Real Estate Development, graduate Real Estate Capital Markets
- New York University Schack Institute of Real Estate – Adjunct Associate Professor, graduate/undergraduate Real Estate Capital Markets, Corporate Finance, and Portfolio Management
- University of Pennsylvania – Trustees’ Council of Penn Women; past- President Board of Governors -Sphinx Honor Society (oldest honor society-over 100 years)
- Martha Graham Dance Company– Board member
- Financial Women’s Association of New York (FWA) – Chair-Investment Policy Committee; Chair-Nominating Committee (2015-16); Co-Chair- Directors/Governance Committee (2011-14); Secretary- Executive Committee and Board of Directors (1995-97); Co-Chair- High School Mentoring Committee (1993-95) and mentor (1992-2005)
- New York Women Executives in Real Estate (WX) – WX Charitable Fund-Treasurer; Secretary/Board of Directors (1996-99); Scholarship Committee (2002 – Present)
- Young Men’s/Women’s Real Estate Association of NY (YM/WREA) – Treasurer/Board of Gov (1998)
- Real Estate New York – one of 50 “Women of Influence” (2008)
- NAREIT and Real Estate Media publications- Editorial advisory boards; Hoyt Fellow; Who’s Who
- Admitted to the New York Bar and Licensed Real Estate broker (NY)
- Publications: articles in CPExecutive, NAREIT Portfolio, Real Estate Forum, National Real Estate Investor, UrbanLand, Wall Street Transcript, The Handbook of Inflation Hedging Investments – Chapter 8 “Real Estate as an Investment: Overview of Alternative Vehicles,” radio/web interviews including Wall Street Journal, NAREIT.org. and NPR radio
Holds J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from Hofstra University Law and Graduate Business Schools and graduated with a B.A. in English from the University of Pennsylvania with various honors.
Check out my new website for Minerva Realty Consultants
“Please have a broader view on the world.
Here are some links to international news sites”:
The New York Times
The Wall Street Journal